Monday, February 22, 2010

3hree Affirmations for writing

I feel pressured to be great in the eyes of my family. Being a writer can pay very little, so me being talented, yet broke, doesn't translate as successful in the eyes of my family...and women don't tend to like broke dudes. My partner for the exercise mentioned that focusing too much on what others think of me being a writer may diminish the quality of my work. Although I think it affects the quantity of pages I produce more than anything, I take from my partner's comments that I should concentrate more on the process of writing and let the rest fall where it may.

I also talked about a fear of changing my style to meet reader expectations, to which my partner responded: "How does the artist keep his artistic integrity while thinking about satisfying others' expectations...?"

I was once told by someone that I see the world in a totally different way than anyone else. True, that statement could apply to any of us as individuals, but the way she said it made me feel like an alien, like a delusional alien in amber shades, especially when I had just finished telling her about something mundane and not the least bit fantastic. So, I feel pressured to be conventional because readers won't understand my style or why I take the surreal so nonchalantly. I take away from my partner's comments that I should "engage with that spark that created ishmael the artist in the first place."

Lastly, my partner wrote that "hard work is what it takes." A simple concept, but really profound. If I work towards something, the desired results are more likely to occur. I just need to make sure my efforts are focused on the project and giving the work its due.

おわり。

1 comment:

  1. your partner wasn't too encouraging was she? i think however you got some strong ideas working here
    thanks for YOUR comments.
    e

    ReplyDelete