Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Characters Welcome

As I said in class, I considered my workshop character to be rather reserved, but not mute, a facilitator in the sense that I try to give comments or ask questions that help the author take the story where they want.

Here is a classmate's observation of my style: "i noticed mostly that you are quiet during workshop but that you listen to what everyone has to say and if someone leaves something important out, you will bring it to the class' attention when the time is right. although you do not interject into the conversation, like some loud people in our workshops do, you always have something very important and constructive to say, and i also notice that you try to be positive about the works too, and not be a negative nancy like most people, even if you don't understand the piece or particularly like it, which i like, because that shouldn't matter. what should matter, which i think you would agree based on your actions in classes, is that it matters where the writer is trying to go, and it is our duty as classmates in the workshop setting to help our fellow classmates get there, or try to get there. i also notice that you do not pass judgement on the works, and this is particularly important because you do not want others doing that to your work. I think the most important thing for us all to remember in workshop is the basic kindergarden "golden rule": treat others the way you would like others to treat you! so simple but so powerful."

I feel the part about treating others as I would like to be treated is indeed true. I didn't notice I felt that way until I read the message. When I write comments, for example, I try not to nitpick or prescribe because I don't like to be nitpicked or given a literary prescription. By nitpicked, I mean if someone has a personal preference or style issue (not craft) and spends their time crossing out words here and there and interjecting their own when that sort of thing doesn't make the piece better, it makes it someone else's.

Another classmate said this: "you seem reserved though willing to offer opinion, and i noticed the honor you give the work - defender of the writer's original urge."

I like the word: urge. There is a passion behind the work and I try to tap into it. A lot of my writing is really more about symbols and emotions than realism and normality because what's normal for one person is not for another. For example, I've been shot at and had a knife pulled on me before and wasn't nervous or freaked out because I don't fear death. But I do fear being seen as a failure by my parents. If I write a character that way, someone would say that's not a normal reaction or that it is unrealistic to feel that way. So, if I can sense the emotion behind the piece, no matter how abnormal it may seem, I try to highten it by giving comments and asking questions I feel will be helpful.

1 comment: