Sunday, February 21, 2010

Three New Affirmations I hope to Believe One Day

Jian sent me a beautiful story about a little boy and an old woman, the message being "center your heart, cultivate your spirit." While I have three affirmations based on this story, I am a bit skeptical as to how one actually goes about believing these things or practicing them.

1- I am capable of centering myself.
2- I am capable of cultivating my spirit, art, self
3- I am worth putting the time in that it takes to "center" and "cultivate"

I do believe that I am capable and worthy, yet in the day to day, it is quite hard for me to really do all the things I have deemed necessary to actually center and cultivate. I love these two words and the broad array of things they encompass, though that very broadness is also intimidating. For instance, what does it take to center myself? Daily workouts, yoga and socialization. These are the basis for cultivation, or the conditions under which cultivation can start. However, even if these things are happening and my mind and body are a clean slate that I can start to cultivate my art from, things can always get in the way. (IE my parents calling, news about my family, some shmuck I dated posting things online about me...) These things wreck my confidence and all the settling and building up I've done gets demolished in seconds. It is hard enough for me to keep on a schedule and do what I deem necessary to create optimal "cultivating" circumstances (mentally, physically, monetarily) without life jack-knifing your plans. How do you deal with these things?

1 comment:

  1. let's not only talk about it, let's see how we can instill it in our students as well!
    e

    ReplyDelete